Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pets Suffer from Mortgage Problems

I was saddened to see how pets are suffering from the national mortgage crisis. When people lose their homes, they are sometimes electing to drop off the family cat or dog at at shelter. Or they may simply leave the family pet behind in the yard or house. These practices are placing the animal is danger, as well as leaving shelter overcrowded.

This article suggests we be extra watchful when when a neighbor moves, and peek into the house or yard to see if a pet has been abandoned. Listen for the barking or meowing of pets left behind. Then call the local shelter for help.

I won't place a judgment on the actions of people who make this choice. I simply want us all to be aware that people DO make these choices, and try to fill in the gap in care for the sake of our beloved companions.

Or perhaps we can go one step further and adopt a "foreclosure pet" from a shelter.

I personally know of someone who moved and left their pets behind. They sent someone by to feed and water them, and otherwise left them alone for months. When a friend of mine made this discovery, she was able to adopt one of the dogs. I never heard what became of the other dog, but I sometimes think of that poor dog and hope it also found a wonderful home. I wonder if in these cases, we could contact the owner and ask if we can help. If we can't do that, then I feel a call to animal services is in order. Companion care is more than just shelter, food, and water.

No comments: