Thursday, January 17, 2008

10 Most Popular Breeds in USA

Here is a list of the 10 most popular Breeds of dog in the USA in 2007...according to the AKC.


  • 10 bulldog
  • 9 shih tzu
  • 8 poodle
  • 7 dachshund
  • 6 boxer
  • 5 beagle
  • 4 golden retriever
  • 3 german shepherd
  • 2 yorkshire terrier
  • 1 labrador retriever
In my area I see a lot of my favorite breed...Mini Schnauzers! But perhaps it's just that I'm looking for them. I almost never see a beagle or bulldog.

My personal list spot list:

  • 1 Labs / Retrievers
  • 2 Mini Schnauzers
  • 3 Australian Shepherds (or what's that other herding dog?)
  • 4 Shih Tzu
  • 5 Cairn Terriers
  • 6 Boxers
  • 7 Jack Russell Terriers
  • 8 Poodles (small ones)
  • 9 Chihuahua
  • 10 Cockapoo
How did Cairn Terriers reach the middle of my list? My neighbor has 3, plus she is involved in Cairn Terrier rescue and has fosters. So I see plenty of Cairns right over my fence. But I also run into quite a few around here when I'm out.

What do you see around your area?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see a lot of large dogs. Probably mixed breeds. Many of them never go inside a hose. I cannot stand to see a dog outside in the winter's harsh elements.

minischnauzerhaus said...

Just outside Atlanta I see:

1 Labs / Retrievers
2 Mini Schnauzers
3 Shih Tzus
4 Chihuahua
5 Pit Bulls
6 Rottweilers
6 Akitas
7 Jack Russell Terriers
8 Great Danes
10 Pekingnese

Posse Pal said...

Minischnauz:

Your list is so much like mine at the top. I might have to move Mini's up to the top of mine. I keep running into cars at the market with 2 to 5 mini's on board. LOL Fun!
I'm surprised to see how many Great Dane's you see. I rarely see them. I see more Greyhound's. I'd forgotten how many pit bulls I see. Lots!